This is one of the most troublesome errors that I had encountered for long time and finally at last I found a way to get past it.
I kept getting the following error when trying to fetch data from my PostgreSQL source. This error was an arbitrary one which used to pop based on the data within. Here is how the standard error message is shown in Messages window of Alteryx –
Error: Input Data (11): Error SQLExecute: ERROR: character with byte sequence 0xe2 0x80 0xad in encoding “UTF8” has no equivalent in encoding “WIN1252”;
Error while executing the query
The byte sequence that I highlighted corresponds to blank space. I tried trimming out blank spaces in my data. I then got another error this time indicating another character. The first workaround to this problem that I applied was to create one more ODBC data source with a Unicode driver. Now that resulted in another problem altogether. All the date format of the input data had changed to text.
Here is the actual fix that helped me. Reading online I did see that one would need to change the setting from WIN1252 to UTF8. Now that I didn’t want to do at database level and I wasn’t sure where to put it. It is after bit of tinkering I see putting that in the Pre-Execute SQL Statement does the trick as shown below –